10.14.2007

Hidden Advantage

Marko writes about the retirement of my old Sony Mavica FD. It really is an obsolete system, with its non-standard battery pack and a resolution bettered by most cell phones these days.

The Mavica FD had one thing going for it however, the reason I bought it back in late 2001: With its photos being stored on its built-in 3.5" floppy drive, its storage may have been limited, but spare disks could be acquire anywhere. Also, what other digicam could interface, dongle-free, with any desktop computer built since the late '80s?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With Sony's propensity for designing proprietary storage solutions, it's surprising the Mavica FD ever saw the light of day.

Sigivald said...

Well, any computer except an iMac or G4 tower of any sort... but that was a new and "scary" thing in 2001.

The downside, of course, being that floppies are inherently unreliable media; even new ones are often bad out of the box.

Adrian K said...

Cool. I haven't seen one of those since I bought my house. Our real estate agent had one and we used it during our last inspection visit before making an offer.

Simply pop it out of the drive and hand it to the young couple looking to by their first house? Priceless.

Sigivald said...

You mentioned wanting to buy a Cube sometime. I found a pair of them on eBay for about 90 bucks, shipped, each.

I just bought one, and if you're interested, the other is here.

I asked about the one I bought, and he said the P/S was included, and I bet it is on this one, too.

Assuming they function properly, as is likely, it's an excellent deal.